Greetings from Global Education at Millersville University!
We are pleased that you will be joining us this August and look forward to meeting you in person during Orientation. We are excited to work with you as you adjust to life in Millersville and the United States.
Over the course of your time at MU you will be receiving a weekly newsletter which will give you important information regarding immigration, housing, move-in/move-out dates, exam schedules, course registration, events across the campus and much more! It is important to regularly check your MU email for this newsletter.
We hope that you enjoy your time at Millersville and can’t wait to meet all of you!
-Global Education Staff
For students graduating and for those returning to your home institutes we wish you all the best in the future. Stay connected with us on our Facebook page and join us in LinkedIn Page as well! Don’t have LinkedIn? Now is the perfect time to join!
You will be able to sell your textbooks during finals week. Just locate one the of CASH for BOOKS vans, or check the school store. Both locations may give you a different price, so shop around!
Be sure to get your immigration document signed at Global Education if you’re traveling out of the county during the summer. Our office will be open Monday-Friday from 8:30-4:30pm.
Residential Halls close at 7pm on Friday, May 12th. Any student not taking summer classes must move out by then. Students taking summer classes and living on campus should apply for summer housing on the Housing Website and talk with your GA about your plans.
Refer to MU’s Dining Website for more information about dining services over the summer.
Note: there are NO meal plan options during Summer 1 session, but you can purchase meal plans for sessions 2 and 3.
Need a ride to the train station on Thursday or Friday? Hop on the Finals Bus!
Drop off donations for new international students if you have items you don’t need (see flier below for more details)
As we are heading into finals week, we wanted to give you guys a couple of tips and reminders about whats available to you on campus to help aid in your finals success.
Tutors on campus:
Try to take advantage of the tutoring center we have on campus. If your stuck in a class that is super hard do not hesitate to ask for help. The tutors that are here on campus are really nice and are here to help you.
You can contact the tutoring center in Lyle Hall room 355 , Call 717-871-7222 or visit their website for tutoring times
We have tutors for all of the following academic departments:
- English (English 010 and 110 tutoring will be provided by the English Department and WIN: Writers’ Improvement Network)
- Foreign Languages (tutoring arrangements will be made by the Foreign Language Department)
- Latino/a Studies
- Music (tutoring arrangements will be made by the Philosophy Department)
- Philosophy (tutoring arrangements will be made by the Philosophy Department)
- Political Science
- Social Work
- Computer Science
- Earth Sciences
- Mathematics (LD/PD; MSP)*
The Library is open later during finals week so If you are a late owl and can not study at home, you can grab a nice late night frappuccino at Starbucks and study there.
Other Tips for Finals Week:
- Whatever you do, DON’T stress. Stress can cause you to do poorly on your exams. Try some simple breathing exercises to keep your stress level down.
- Create a dependable study group with classmates because sometimes its better to study in a group than alone.
- Try rewriting your notes over again in another notebook. This is a good way to re-teach yourself the material.
- Get sleep! I know we all want to cram in all the information in one night but the best way to prepare for finals is getting all the rest you can have and learn the material with a clear head after a goodnight’s rest.
Good luck on finals everyone!
Finals week is quickly approaching and everyone knows what that means….late nights and a diet consisting of coffee and convenient junk food! But it’s very important that you eat healthy food during Finals Week so that your brain has enough energy to get you through that late night study sessions!
Also, remember that summer is coming right after finals, so if we all want to look good in our beach wear, we should snack healthier while studying for finals.
Here are some tips for healthy snacking:
- Eat Fruit! you can substitute fruit for sweets and candies and the natural sugar keeps you alert and awake.
- Granola bars are good for an on-the-go snack.
- Peanuts or any type of nuts are good brain food
- Vegetables are great- carrots with ranch dip is a personal favorite.
- If your feeling the need for chips, rice chips or rice cakes are a good healthy substitute and come in many flavors.
- Eat a full dinner, even if it is something quick and easy like pasta.
- The galley provides many healthy, quick lunch options to grab on your way to the library, like wraps and salads.
- Popcorn is good for you in moderation.
Good luck on finals and remember to gets a lot of sleep, eat healthy, and study hard!
If you’ll be staying in the area for the summer, you’re in luck because Pennsylvania is close to some of the best beaches on the East Coast. Just a short drive away, the beaches of New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland are awesome vacation spots if you have just a day, a long weekend, or even a week to spare!
Ocean City Maryland is one of our favorite beach hot spots. With a 2.25 mile long boardwalk abundant with shops, restaurants, hotels and more, Ocean City has something for everyone!
Aside from the hundreds of activities on the boardwalk, Ocean City is a 36 mile long town that has activities all summer long to preoccupy anyone. Some of the popular activities include their international kite expo, restaurant week, 100 nights of lights, surf expos, movie nights, and concerts. There is never a dull moment in Ocean City.
If you’re not looking to spend all day wrapped up in the activities, and you would rather relax on the beach all day, soaking up the sun (while properly applying SPF throughout the day of course), then look no further. Ocean City Maryland is one of the few free beaches in the area that does not require a beach tag. This means that you can ‘beach it’ as often and for as long as you’d like – for free! This makes it perfect for a spontaneous beach day trip. All you have to pay for is the gas down and any food you buy on the boardwalk!
Located only about 3 hours from Millersville, Ocean City is a popular beach hot spot for college aged adults. Plan a trip this summer to see what you love best about OCMD!
As hard as it may be to believe, but finals week is finally here. It’s that time of the year to test yourself on how much you actually learned these past 15 weeks. While 15 weeks of school work boiled down to 1 test may be stressful, Global Ed has some sure-fire ways to help ease some of this test anxiety you may feel!
- Do NOT procrastinate – if you have not started studying yet, take this weekend to begin. Even if your test is not cumulative, it is still overwhelming for your brain to absorb information for multiple classes at once. Prioritize your studying based on which tests are first, and develop a study plan to help ease some stress.
- Eat regularly/healthy – fueling your body with healthy food also fuels your brain, which helps you retain information while you study. It is easy to forge to eat when you get weighed down with tasks/studying, and often it is easier to engorge in 3 pizzas a day or have coffee for dinner. While cooking may take some time, it is important to make sure that you are getting your normal vitamins through your food. This will not not only help with studying, but healthy eating will prevent you from getting sick – which you run a higher risk of when you are stressed out.
- Take a break – After about 60-90 minutes of studying, your brain stops retaining information. It is important to give yourself a break. During your break, doing light exercise helps with studying too! Take a short walk and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine, take a break and make a meal, or just relax for about 10 minutes in silence. Whatever you need to do to give your brain the well needed rest it deserves is just as important as studying.
- Sleep – sleep is very important and correlates directly with academic performance. Your body needs rest, and getting a healthy 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night is vital to college students well-being. Feeling rested when you wake up will help you perform better on your tests and assignments.
- Breathe – Sure, you breathe all the time. But when is the last time you stopped what you were doing, took a deep breath in, and then just let it go? It is amazing how satisfying and relieving this can be. If you find yourself overwhelmed, remember to just breathe. School work and finals are very important, but they are not the end-all, be-all of your life. Everyone is human and we are not expected to get perfect scores on all of our tests. We are expected to try our best and learn what we can. At the end of the day, if you try your best and give it your all, that is succeeding. Finals will be over before you know it and then we get to enjoy 3 months of a well deserved summer vacation!
One would never thing that Lititz is America’s coolest smallest
town! there is just so much to do whether its going out to eat, site seeing , or shopping. Here are a few things you can do in America’s
coolest smallest town: https://lititzpa.com/
Lititz Historical Foundation & Museum
- When you visit the museum you will see and experience the rich history of Lititz. In the 1792 Mueller House, costumed guides will explain what life was like for an 18th century family.
Wilbur Chocolate Store
- If you have a sweet tooth and like chocolate Wilbur chocolate store is the place to go. Watch candy makers create your favorite chocolate sweets and enjoy interesting displays of tins, packaging, equipment.
Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery
- Learn about how to make pretzels! One of PA’s iconic and historic snacks.
Looking for good places to eat? Lititz has a ton of good eatery’s
- Appalachian Brewing Company
- A Tea Affair
- Bruno’s Old Style Hoagies
- Bulls Head Public House/General Sutter Inn
- Danner’s Deli
- JoBoy’s Brew Pub
and many more cool restaurants and little shoppe’s!
Now that it is finally feeling like spring, you may find yourself wanting to spend more time outside. Luckily, there are a ton of outdoor, fun activities in our area to help you enjoy the sunshine!
Chickie’s Rock is a hiking trail just about 20 minutes away. It leads through a wooded path, up a mountain and ends at the edge. Here you will find a beautiful view of the Pinnacle River! Chickie’s Rock is a great place to hike with friends, bring a picnic, and enjoy the lush, green landscape that will soon be.
Millersville offers a Rope’s Course for the dare devil in all of us. Located behind Pucillo Gym, the ropes course offers rock climbing, ziplines, and other trust building activities! For as little as $5, you can partake in a variety of physical activities! Check out all that they have to offer by clicking here!
Long’s Park is a small, quiet park in Lancaster right by the Park City mall. It is perfect for a picnic with friends or just to walk alone to relieve some stress after a long week! They even offer outdoor concerts in their amphitheater in the summer! You can find the directions to Long’s Park here!
No matter where you go or who you’re with, it is clear that Lancaster has a million ways to enjoy the Spring!
Sick of dining hall food? Not a great cook yourself? Luckily, Millersville offers many local places to grab a quick bite, or to sit down with friends and enjoy a full meal. Check out our favorite places nearby!
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe – located next to Sheetz, they offer a variety of healthy smoothies, paninis, flat breads, and sandwiches! go between 8 – 10 am for half priced smoothies!
- Sheetz – our favorite local gas station also offers a variety of quick bites, like breakfast sandwiches, subs, chicken fingers, and more! They also accept Marauder Gold as payment.
- Wayback Burgers – next to Tropical Smoothie Cafe, it’s the perfect place to go for a burger, chicken sandwich, fries, and much more! Try their milkshakes, too!
- Nino’s – We are lucky enough to have 2 Nino’s within close proximity. One is located right by John Herr’s and just recently opened up. The other is located next to Wayback Burgers! Both are great for a slice of pizza or any other Italian dish you could want.
- Two Cousins – speaking of Italian dishes, Two Cousin’s Pizza offers more than just delicious pizza. They also have a menu featuring classic Italian meals at an affordable price – and they Deliver!
- Sugar Bowl – This is one of the more popular places to eat due to it’s location being practically on campus. Whether you dine in at the little shop across from the Library, or have them deliver right to your door, Sugar Bowl is always a great choice for pizza, salads, sandwiches and much more!
- House of Pizza – or more commonly known as HoPie, this establishment is located on the corner of Frederick Street and Prince. Yet another pizza shop known for it’s delicious food and entertainment. Stop by on a Thursday night for Karaoke!
- JavaVille – Straying away from the pizza shop trend, JavaVille is located right across from House of Pizza. They offer all day breakfast and delicious coffee house style beverages.
- Jack’s Family Tavern – not only is it a popular bar for students of age to hang out at on weekends, but Jack’s is also a sit down restaurant that serves home cooked meals at a great price. On Tuesdays at 9:00 they have Trivia, too! Check it out – an be sure to tip your waiter!
- Sugar on Top – perfect for your sweet tooth, Sugar on top sells delicious, over-the-top donuts that everyone loves! There is definitely a flavor made for everyone. Stop by, they are located right across from the church on George Street, by Wickersham.
Come out for bowling and ice cream with Global Ed and Global Marauders! See flyer below for details! Price is FREE but you must sign up with a $5 deposit!
An event to celebrate YOU – the international students at Millersville University! Join us for an evening of delicious food and fun times with friends you have made here at Millersville!