Millersville Students Keep the Cupboard Full

0 comments

Millersville’s Campus Cupboard members give their time and effort to help students.

With the holidays upon us, Campus Cupboard is on a mission. Its mission is to feed Millersville students living on campus who cannot afford a meal plan or who are living off campus and cannot afford to buy food, and it is seeking your donation.  Run under the direction of Kirstin Shrom-Rhoads, pastor of United Campus Ministry, the program’s aim is to ensure that University students don’t go hungry.

The cupboard, operating on donations and food supplied by Central Pa. Food Bank and the community, opens its doors to students every Friday from 3-5 p.m. at the back entrance of the A-framed church (First United Methodist Church) at 121 N. George St.

“Students, upon entering, will receive a card that tells them how much food they can take in each category. They can then go around and take what they would like,” said Campus Cupboard student manager Emily Dries. “I very much enjoy working with Kirstin at the food bank. It’s nice to know we are doing our part to help needy students in the community. The students themselves are very nice and grateful for the food we are supplying to them,” said Dries, a senior majoring in psychology.

In its first year, the Cupboard served 79 students for 212 visits. In the first 6 weeks of this semester, they have served 21 students for a total of 36 visits. Kirstin also expresses how thankful students are. One student told her, “I’m so glad you are doing this at Millersville! I am graduating now, and moving back to Philly, but my first two years living off campus, I used to go to bed hungry because I didn’t have food for dinner. I would drink water to trick my stomach into thinking I was full. You will be surprised how many people really need this.”

Campus Cupboard accepts donations of food on Fridays between 10 a.m. and noon. For more information about Campus Cupboard, contact Shrom-Rhoads at 872-6840 or Kirstin.Shrom-Rhoads@millersville.edu.