Brant Schuller

2 comments

This edition of Who Makes Millersville Special features Brant Schuller, art and design chair and professor.

Brant Schuller

Q: When did you begin working for Millersville University? 

A: 1998

Q: Where did you attend college and what was your major? 

A: My BFA is in printmaking and painting from the Cleveland Institute of Art. I did my graduate work at the Pennsylvania State University.

Q: Where are you originally from? 

A:   I was born in Little Rock, Ark., but spent most of my formative years in Northeast Pa., outside of Scranton.

Q: What do you enjoy about teaching the most? 

A: Seeing students have “Aha” moments. It is exciting when they get more complicated concepts and then develop personal investigations based on them.

Q: Why did you come to Millersville?  

A: Location and the opportunity to work within a larger art & design program.

Q: How many exhibits have you put on?   

A: I’ve participated in over a 100 group and individual exhibitions. I’m particularly proud of the solo exhibitions that have been held in major cities in the U.S. and abroad.

Q: What type of artist are you? 

A:  I classify myself as a printmaker, but not in the classical sense, as I am more interested in working around the edges of this discipline and letting the processes slip into other approaches of art such as sculpture and painting.

Q: Have you always been interested in this area of art and design?

A: I built my first tree house with my neighbor when we were 5 years old. It consisted of a platform, a short ladder, a nail and yarn decorative element, and then every inch of it was painted in pastel polka dots. I never stopped making things, and my friend now runs a construction business.

When I went to college my intent was to make videos. At that time, you needed a group of people to run the equipment, let alone to be in front of the camera. I grew tired of this dependence and changed my major to painting. While I was pursuing painting, my roommate was taking a Stone Lithograph course, which looked interesting to me. I fell for the process and gradually shifted the bulk of my interest towards pursing lithography, intaglio and relief printmaking. It was the focus on current issues and the democratic nature of printmaking that led me to explore this focus further in graduate school.

Q: Have you ever traveled outside of the country to complete a residency? 

A: I have trained in Moku Hanga at the Nagasawa Art Park Residency in Japan, developed decals for ceramics while in China, was a resident artist at the University of Alberta and have done multiple residencies at the Frans Masereel Cetrum in Belgium.

Q: Do you participate in the arts outside of work? 

A: Yes, I show regularly. Working regularly in the studio keeps me grounded.

Q: What do you enjoy to do outside of work?

A: I enjoy travel, going to museums and galleries, reading and spending time with my family.

Q: Do you have any children?

A:  I have two daughters.

Q: If you could meet any artist, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

A: I have been fortunate in that I have met a number of significant artists in my life. This has demystified the idea of fame or genius being passed in a brief meeting. I believe there is more to be understood from their work and therefore feel that when I walk up to a piece of art in a museum, I am on some level meeting the artist who made it.

1. Timothy Shea says:

Brant is an extraordinary professor who inspires his students to think and imagine in new ways. I am honored to be his colleague.

2. John Wallace (Biology) says:

Well done Brandt, our cohort from 1998 stands strong in the Art Department !