Lori Leaman

3 comments

This edition of Who Makes Millersville Special features Lori Leaman, assistant to associate provost for civic engagement and events coordinator.

Lori Leaman, left, with husband Michael and son Colton

Q: Where are you from?

A: I was born and raised here in Lancaster County. My family recently moved just miles away from campus to a quiet wooded property along the Little Conestoga Creek.

Q: Do you have any children?

A: I have one amazing son, Colton, who keeps me on my toes and reminds me daily to see magic in every aspect of our world. I also have two very special nephews that I adore, Preston and Pearson.

Q: Did you attend college? If so, where and what was your major?

A:  I am a 2001 Millersville University alum, and my major was art.

Q: How long have you worked at Millersville?

A: I am in my sixth year working at Millersville.

Q: Who has been your favorite speaker to work with so far?

A: We have had so many fantastic speakers, it is almost impossible to choose just one! Naomi Tutu, daughter of Desmond Tutu, was amazing to listen to and Richard Dreyfus was fun, humble, a fantastic speaker and a Hollywood icon!

Q: How has your work at the Civic & Community Engagement & Research Project (CCERP) changed over the years?

A: CCERP has gone from a dream of Drs. Francine McNairy and Melvin Allen to a new fledgling initiative on campus to an engaging growing center!

Q: What did you do before you began working at Millersville?

A: This is my 12th year in event planning. I was previously with Sterling Financial Corporation (Bank of Lancaster County) and also at Accomac Events.

Q: What are some causes you volunteer for?

A: My nephew Preston is a juvenile diabetic, and was diagnosed at age 3. The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation is doing amazing work and is a cause I wholeheartedly support. I am also on the planning committee for Mountville’s Bicentennial Celebration in 2014, and that has proved to be educational and fun. I also chair their annual Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony for the Veteran of Foreign War Post and am active in the life and mission of my church. 

Q: What is the hardest part when planning events?

A:  Flight delays, rainy days, late or apathetic vendors, last minute changes or no-shows and incorrigible brides who forget the real meaning of their day.

Q: What do you enjoy about Millersville most?

A: The students! Their energy is great! I love when I get to be a part of and witness that moment     when they realize that they can and will make a difference in the world!

Q: How do you want students to remember you?

A: Fun, fair, friendly and engaged in what matters.

Q: What are your interests outside of work?

A: I enjoy traveling, being with my husband Michael and our son, spending time with family, being outdoors, holidays, shopping, decorating, volunteering and yoga.

Q: If you could go anywhere on vacation, where would it be?

A: So many choices and places on the wish list….Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island was one of my grandparents’ favorite places ever, so that definitely is at the top of the list.

Q: What is something you absolutely need to get through your day?

A: Patience. I have a 3-year-old who knows everything.

Q: What is your greatest accomplishment? 

A: My family, definitely. Also, surprising my husband by passing my motorcycle license test.

1. Nancy Henry says:

Congratulations my wonderful daughter on this accomplishment. Keep up the great work!!
    Love,
    Mom

2. Frances Axsmith says:

Nice!