Ruth Sheetz

3 comments

This edition of Who Makes Millersville Special features Ruth Sheetz, contract specialist since 2005.

Ruth Sheetz

Q: Take us through a typical day in your shoes.

A: My day-to-day activities vary depending on what phase the design or construction project might be in. I conduct pre-bid and pre-construction meetings and bid openings. I prepare construction contracts, change orders, process payment applications, issue work orders and review specifications and drawings. I talk to construction managers, contractors and answer questions during bidding. There is always something to do, because we typically have more than 20 maintenance or design projects active at any given time.

Q: What do you enjoy most about your job?   

A: There is no other job that could be more rewarding than working at Millersville because every part of what I do ultimately benefits our students.

Q: Explain what your goal is as contract specialist for Millersville University.  

A: My goal is to maintain integrity in our procurement process and to protect the University’s interests. It is also important to provide positive customer service to our internal customers and outside contractors or vendors.

Q: Did you have a role in the construction for Millersville’s new library?

A: Yes, I worked with the project manager and design professional in putting together the bid documents. I am responsible for administering the construction contracts and change orders. I also assist with updating the project budget.

Q: You are in involved in many different areas on campus. What do you enjoy working on the most? 

A: I have really enjoyed working on student housing renovations. Knowing that the students appreciate upgrades to these facilities makes all of the hard work worthwhile.

Q: What were you doing before you came to Millersville? 

A: I was director of administrative and procurement services for a local engineering company.

Q: Why did you come to Millersville? 

A: The operational functions of the construction and design department and contract specialist position mirrored my previous experience and background.

Q: What do you like doing outside of work? 

A:  I am a sports fan to my boys.  Zach is a junior at Bloomsburg University, and he plays collegiate basketball. I go to all the games and support the team. Greg is a senior at the Boys’ Latin School, and I go to his football and lacrosse games. I like being outside and enjoy gardening and boating. My favorite hobby is shopping, especially for bargains.

Q: Do you have a favorite movie, book or quote? 

A: The new James Bond movie, “Skyfall,” was fantastic.

Q: What is your biggest pet peeve? 

A: Drivers who run red lights.

Q: Where are you originally from?

A:  I was born and raised here in Lancaster.

Q: Have you ever traveled outside of the country? 

A: Not yet, but I hope to this summer!

1. Jim Robertson says:

Ruth ,

Great article regarding your love for MU . Great place to work as you know because you are a part of MU and its future . Great picture .

Jim Robertson

2. francisco feliciano says:

Good article. Mom’s who encourage sports and academics are the best!.. Love all the new Bond movies, haven’t seen “Skyfall” yet. But I will….Cisco.

3. Debbie Martin says:

Nice article about a great lady dedicated to work and family!