Laura Micciche

6 comments

This edition of Who Makes Millersville Special features Laura Micciche, event coordinator for the Ware Center, Millersville University Lancaster.

Laura Micciche

Q: When did you begin working for Millersville University? 

A: January 2007.

Q: Take us through a typical day in your shoes?  

A: A typical day for me would be to arrive at the Ware Center, go through the events calendar and make sure the details of all events are handled for the day. This is usually anywhere between one and eight events per day. I also handle phone calls and emails requesting event bookings at the Ware Center. At the end of the day, our goal is to make sure everyone feels at home here.

Q: What do you enjoy most about your job? 

A: I enjoy the process of coordinating the events; from the initial phone call all the way through completion. 

Q: What range of events do you coordinate at the Ware Center?  

A: A little bit of everything. I coordinate classes and events for various Millersville departments to corporate receptions, fundraising galas and weddings.

Q: Have you always been interested in coordinating events?

A: I have always loved coordinating events. Even when I was growing up, I loved planning family gatherings.

Q: What are your favorite kinds of events to organize at the Ware Center?

A: I really enjoy First Fridays. The entire staff gets involved in putting it together. It always involves many different types of art: Visual, music, food, etc. It’s great to see and hear visitors’ reactions when they come in to the building for the first time.

Q: Do you participate in the arts outside of work? 

A: I enjoy going to see independent films, concerts and visiting museums.

Q: How does the center benefit the community? 

A: The Ware Center gives an opportunity for the local community to come together and experience the arts, while at the same time offering local organizations a place to connect.

Q: Recently the Ware Center waived the fee for Millersville students to attend any Literary Guild lecture at the Ware Center. Why is this a good opportunity for students? 

A: The Literary Guild brings high quality authors to Lancaster County, which offers students that personal connection to an artist or author that they may not necessarily have the chance to experience otherwise.

Q: What were you doing before you came to Millersville?

A: Producing large scale events for national corporations, nonprofits, golf championships and private individuals.

Q: Why did you come to Millersville?  

A: I moved to Lancaster County from Florida to be closer to my family.

Q: What do you enjoy to do outside of work?

A:  I love spending time with my husband and my two dogs.

Q: Have you won any honors or awards? 

A: In 2010, I was honored by Millersville University with the Living the Promise Award for my work on the University’s capital campaign public launch event at the Ware Center. In 2005, I received the U.S. Open Championship USGA Appreciation Award.

Q: What is your biggest pet peeve? 

A: Walking into spider webs!

Q: Where are you originally from? 

A: I grew up in Cliffside Park, N.J.

Q: Have you ever traveled outside of the country? 

A: Yes, I have been to Europe, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean Islands.

Q: If you could book any artist of any kind for the Ware Center, who would it be?

A: If I had a choice of anyone in the world, I would choose Andrea Bocelli. He is an inspiration, his voice is timeless and he is a legend. Can you imagine that voice in Steinman Hall?

1. Melissa Micciche says:

Awesome Laura!

2. April Kepeck says:

Congratulations! Great Job!

3. Bill Latsha says:

Congratulations Laura,
    Millersville is Lucky to have you!
    Keep up the great work!

4. Dennis Denenberg says:

KUDOS, Laura

MU is very fortunate to have you as part of the team at The Ware Center.

5. Diana Fischer says:

Congrats, Laura!! Working with you back in 2007-2008 was a joy! I miss you, Carol, and the rest of the Special Events/Advancement team!!

6. Liz Braungard says:

Congratulations Laura. Well deserved and there is not doubt you do make Millersville special. I’ll stop in to say hi the next time I walk past Ware!