First Bump in the Road

Team Brawndo headed into the lab on Friday 10/28 to mix up new nutrient solution.  We found that our pH level was very low in both our system and extra jug.  We mixed up new solution with the right pH level and hope this will help our plant grow a little faster. 

We checked our plant on Monday 10/31 and noticed more growth mostly within the growing medium.  The roots are coming through the bottom of the sponge which is good.  We tested the pH level and it seemed to be ok for now as it is at about 6.5.  We also discussed when we want to switch the valve to a ring.  We decided to wait a little until the plant has grown more to switch to the ring.  The ring will allow more space for our plant to grow and will cover more area with water.

4 thoughts on “First Bump in the Road”

1. Your system is looking good guys! Will the plant grow out of the medium, it seems that there is a lot of growth inside and not much coming out of the top. Hopefully lowering the light today will make your plants want to come out of the sponge. I was also curious to what you meant by switching the valve ring?

2. I was just curious as to what you mean when you say that you are going to switch to a ring? Otherwise, I think your system looks pretty good; its very different from most of the other ones in the class. – Elroy

3. Is there a way to germinate you plant first and then stick it in you sponge like material? It looks like to me that the plant is struggling to get started. Changing the ph level is only going to do so much to help. I think that making some big changes may be necessary. Increase the water it is getting from your drip technique. Or maybe try using rockwool or perlite instead of your sponge like material.

4. Hey guys, looks like your project is slowly but surely coming along. I wonder how much solution you are giving this little guy. I wonder if you increased the dripping, that your plant would grow faster. Also i wonder what made you decided to use a bath sponge for your medium to grow? Nice pictures on your blog by the way. – Robert Albertson